Your iPhone is backed with a AT&T network. However, you don’t want to continue your relationship with the service provider but your iPhone is locked and there is no way to switch to another network unless your device eligible for it. Well, don’t worry. Your iPhone is not yet wasted. In fact, there are two ways to unlock AT&T iPhone X, 8, 7, 6S, 6, 5S, SE, 5C, 5, 4S or 4 permanently. The first way is to fill up the forms available on the AT&T website and request to have your phone unlocked. The second way is to get it done by a third-party unlocking device.
So without further ado, let’s find out how you can unlock your AT&T iPhone X and switch to another network.
How to Unlock AT&T iPhone X and Switch to Other Network
Some important things you should keep in your mind before making an unlock attempt:
- If your phone is purchased after 2015, it can only be unlocked for domestic use by the company.
- If your phone was purchased before February 2015, the company would inform you when the device becomes eligible for unlock. Once they do, you can send in a request for unlocking.
- If you plan to use the unlocked device internationally, make sure you send in the request for international use.
- Only iPhone 5 by AT&T are allowed to be unlocked for international GSM networks. However, they will only work on Verizon’s CDMA network.
- In case your device is listed as lost or stolen, it can only be unlocked for use outside USA.
- However, an unlocked AT&T iPhone X, 8, 7, 6S, 6, SE, 5S, 5C, 5, 4S or 4 that has been backlisted will not work in countries that share USA database.
- The earlier versions of iPhone only worked for their specific networks while newer phones can be unlocked for other providers as well.
- The iPhone 7 running on AT&T network is compatible with most GSM networks as well as Verizon’s CDMA network.
- For more information regarding the unlock policy by AT&T, simply click this link.
Is your iPhone X eligible for unlocking by AT&T?
There are certain limitations that restrict iPhone users from unlocking AT&T device. Make sure your phone is eligible for domestic unlocking by reading the criteria below.
- The device must be active on AT&T network for at least 50 days.
- The unlock procedure performed must be for domestic use.
- You have fulfilled all the requirements by the company regarding the phone’s payment, lease agreement, and service agreement.
- The phone is not reported as lost or stolen.
- Your account should deem to be in good position and does not have any dispute with the company.
On the other hand, if you wish to use your phone outside USA, make sure it is qualified for international unlocking:
- You must be a current AT&T customer
- Your phone must be capable for international unlock
- Your device must be active on the AT&T network for at least 90 days
- Your account should deem to be in good position
- The device is not reported as lost, stolen or linked with any fraudulent activity
- Your phone number is allowed to work with two unlocked device
Once you are assured that your phone is eligible for unlocking, contact AT&T customer care at 1-314-925-6925. For international unlocking, call AT&T Worldwide Care at 877-782-8870.
What to do after you have succeeded in unlocking your iPhone?
Unlocking iPhone is an easy method and network carriers guide you through all the steps to ensure you don’t face any difficulty. Once your phone is unlocked, you can easily switch to another carrier on the same device by following the instructions below:
- Switch off your iPhone
- Remove the Sim card and insert the new Sim card
- Restart your device and follow the instructions given on the screen
Want to Unlock your iPhone quickly and easily?
For those who don’t want to go through the trouble of unlocking their phone through their specific carrier can also use UnlockBoot and unlock their iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, iPhone 6, 6 Plus, SE, and iPhone 5S.
However, the use of third-party unlocking service is not free and there is a nominal charge associated with the service. But of course, the small fee is worth it if you are not eligible for unlock by AT&T or you wish to hasten the process.
- Simply go to the Official AT&T Unlock Website
- Next, enter your phone model & select your existing carrier.
- Enter the IMEI number of your device > click on Unlock now.
- Enter your personal details and complete the payment.
Once the steps are completed, you will be required to pay $49 for iPhone 5/5s/5c and $59 for the newer models. With the third-party unlocking service, the unlock procedure is carried out in just a few days.